In 1837, Franklin Steele established a claim for the land on the east side of Saint Anthony Falls.
Within the next ten years, he established a sawmill at the falls, and lumbermen from the north began cutting trees and sending them to Steele's sawmill.
Minneapolis's oldest intact school, dating to 1886; representative of the 19th-century emphasis on education through its castle-like architecture and origin during a frenzy of construction by Minneapolis Public Schools.1883 Carpenter Gothic/Stick style house and outbuildings built by the manager of the Minnetonka Mills Company, the first mill west of Minneapolis and nucleus of the first town in western Hennepin County.
Warehouse built 1909–1911 in sections that juxtapose traditional timber framing with newly developed reinforced concrete construction, encapsulating a major shift in early-20th-century warehouse engineering.
In 1860, flour production stood at 30,000 barrels; it reached 256,100 barrels in 1869. Pillsbury and Company owned five mills at the falls, and in 1879, Washburn-Crosby Company (now General Mills) owned four mills.